Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Foking fonny innit?

*a weeks visit to UK and what impressions it left*

First of all,forgive me for the coarse language used in the title.I just can't help it,as there was a show on iTv that have half of its dialogue consisting of curses.How the plot proceed,I do not know as I was laughing while listening to their speeches,before changing the channel to something more subtle.

That settled,now what I observed during my recent stay.

1. Prices of most items are significantly cheaper than in Germany.Almost every item that is produced, be it food,clothes or even house appliances.Surely the decreased value of pound had played an effect but I think the way the Brits spend their money encourages the money to flow and keeping the prices at a lower level.Plus there is lots of competition between the sellers in order to have their share in the market.Consumerism and lots of producer keep the price low.Bla bla bla.
The point IS is damn cheap there.Most of it..Chocolates included.
Which annoys me the most because you can like go to the nearest grocery outlet and pick a Cabury or whatever you fancy,and just check for the sign 'V' for vegetarian.You see there is no system of labelling in Germany.Thus we had to read the ingredient 1 by 1,check all the E's(emulsifier) in order to avoid Haram ingredients.
Those in Uk sure have it easy.What's more,there are lots and lots variety of chocolate to chose from.Clearly I am annoyed by this,that I put it my 1st point in this post.

I don't really mind the discounted clothes(up to 70%!),nor the fact they can find malaysian food easily(satay plss!), but those chocs sure made me sad.haha

2. Among the things I noticed included that although the item of daily life is cheap,the houses are very expensive.
Maybe it's because they live on an island?
Seems like land is scarce to them.
There's even tv programmes describing couples journey in buying a house,how much they auctioned for it,the cost of renovation,and etcetera
pelik gak a tgk rncgn tu.mcm rncgn cari menantu,cuma yg ni cari tanah/rumah.

3. If you have been reading English literature,some of them always mention a hot bath.
I was therefore led to think that they have implemented it in their daily life efficiently.Innit?
How is it then the taps are separated?
For you who cannot imgaine,there are taps.1 hot and 1 cold.If you want hot water,you take from the red tap.Which is very hot,scalding, while the cold one is freezing in the winter.
I wonder why the taps are combined into one(like normal taps in hotels) where the temperature of the water can be roughly regulated by the knobs...
Hmm..I am sure they have a reason,it's just I can't figure it out,yet.

4. Before this I had the notion that Germany had the longest time of insurance advertisement aired on its national tv.I doubted it now.
During my stay there,I noticed that there were also lots of insurance ads on the tele.
The stark difference between the two countries is in Germany,the insurance are targeted at senior citizens.In UK however the ads are mostly about cars' insurances.
One is then made to think(not seriously)," Is the car there prone to accidents and break-down?"
But if you watched Top-gear and the series where the three of them compete with a car they bought,you should notice James' always broke.
Maybe the show led to the abundance of car insurances ads?


5. As mentioned,the clothes are cheap.
But the brands that's hip are among them Animals and Bench?

All in all,you guys in studying sure have it easy.Maybe only a bit,but still easier.
Of course the points are only my humble opinion from I what simply see.If there is any misunderstanding,do point out.
I ain't bloody perfect...haha

p.s.trima kasih kpd tuan rumah spnjg keberadaan saya di sana,saudara khairi ishak, dan juga trima kasih sbb masak sedap2. :D

3 comments:

  1. so it wasnt rumours..LOLs
    darn it,pg sorg2,hebat2..btl2 food murah,halal pon sonang..
    hurm the taps thingy-probability is the place u stay,they vary..LOLs.
    and top gear..how I wish to watch the show at low cost studio in birmingham..sadly though the list is full till next 2 years..chihuahua btl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. taps tu klau kt rumah2 mmg cmtu.
    kt ireland pon sama.

    lol.khabar angin menda.aku siap ajak smua org g..klas la,peksa la.last2 g sorg

    ReplyDelete
  3. erm...duk hostel ker 1 week? hehe

    ReplyDelete