Blog Archive

Monday, October 29, 2012

Ja-ja-jajmental (Being Judged as Judgemental)

A girlfriend of a friend of mine, said I am judgemental. Well, here's a rebuttal to her.

I hate to use the word judge because of the connotation but first in reply to the statement, yes, I think I am judgemental.
However, I like to use the word calculate or evaluate people, instead of judge. This is because the verb judge has meanings that associate with verdicts and sentences. A criminal can be judged and sentenced to prisoned but people cannot form an opinion/evaluate the same criminal and decided to send him to prison. There's a slight difference there where judge can be used in both sentence.
So yes, I am judgemental. But I don't give verdicts to people.

In fact, everyone judges everyday. Or evaluate/calculate/assess.
You drive a car to work, you judge how early you have to press the break.
The lecturer judges how loud he has to speak, so that all the students can hear him without him sounding like a sergeant.
A gentleman saw an old woman carrying groceries and judged that she needed help, and offered it.
A cat sees an opening in the hedge, and judges whether its body fit into it.

But we all reevaluate our judgement from time to time. Sometimes within seconds forming it. This is a must because judgement has to take many considerations into it and we are not provided by all these informations at once. Life is not like a mathematic test, where you are given these variables and you have to calculate the answer. More likely, life is like a test with a forgetful or challenging(or both) teacher: "here's the questions, try to solve it" but comes minutes later and says, "I forgot to give the value of R," or sometimes even come back and says "you remember that test two years ago, I forgot to tell you it's supposed to be in radians."

So we must re-evaluate. We must reassess our judgement. But that doesn't mean we must not judge, right?
Let me present an outrageous hypothetical story.
A man saw a healthy beggar and scolded him. A passerby says, you must not judge him. So the man decided to be not judgemental afterwards, AT ALL.
So he walked into the park on his way home. He saw a figure moving behind the bushes.
Maybe he is searching for his keys, the man thought.
The figure emerges a few metres behind him.
Maybe his home is also this way, the man thought.
From the corner of his eye, the man sees the figure drawing out a blade.
Maybe he wants to carve 'I LUV U' on the barks of the tree, the man thought.
"Give me your money," the dark figure said.
Maybe he is talking to another person on the phone, the man thought. But the figure thought otherwise so when the man ignored him, he stab him and ran away with the money.
Maybe this is ketchup, was the man's last thought as he lies in the park.

Obviously that is a stupid story and blown out of proportion but it shows being judgemental is a part of us. Naturel.
If we are denied or deny ourselves to judge/calculate/assess rationally, we will still judge but do it blindly, just like the dying man. Therefore, other than willing to re-evaluate ourselves, we must also judge carefully in order to avoid from chaotic mistake. We do this by giving leeways or room in our judgement. Just like the dying man, this act is usually connected to the word 'maybe', but unlike him, we do not use excessively(takdak otak).
Kita tak tekan brek kat rumah, untuk berhenti sebelum lampu trafik. We break a few metres from the nearest car.
The professor doesn't shout till the windows crack. He just shout loud enough until he notices that the sleepy student jerk his head.
A cat, has its whiskers for room of error in his judgement.

Thus in short, I am judgemental, but I leave a room for misjudgement and I am prepared to change my opinion anytime.

And even if you disagree all the above and say I am plain judgemental, doesn't that make you judgemental by saying that I am judgemental? PWN!


Just kidding, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment